Head of Engineering & Lead Developer
Come and reinvent education.
We’re looking for a talented and ambitious developer to take the reins and lead technical development, strategy, architecture design and implementation at Up Learn. You’ll be laying Up Learn’s foundations for scale and leading the technical development of a product successfully tackling one of the most meaningful problems there is: education.
At Up Learn, we guarantee students academic success or their money back. Up Learn provides the entire curriculum learning component of education, and if we’re successful we’ll eliminate the need for exams and reinvent education into an experience that prepares students for the rest of their lives.
Since launching in 2016 we’ve achieved 97% A*/A success rate (with some students starting from grades as low as Ds and even Us), helped over 2,000 students, delivered over 400 scholarships to disadvantaged students and received 100% 5* reviews on Trustpilot.
We’ve now raised over £2.5m from exceptional investors - including top VC Forward Partners - to create our next wave of A Level and GCSE courses, expanding our reach to over 2 million new students every year.
We have a team-first culture: we’re building Up Learn into the best company to work at in the world, so that we’re able to do the best possible work for our customers: the students. The work we do for students today, will have a lasting impact for the rest of their lives.
WHAT YOU'LL DO IN THE FIRST 6 MONTHS
- You'll gain ownership of the entire stack and architecture, selecting the correct technologies for scale
- You’ll build dozens of new features and services from scratch
- You’ll establish and cultivate software development best practices and processes
- You’ll gain an understanding of our business, our customers and our domain, allowing you to use your judgement to make independent decisions
- You’ll learn new skills and techniques to improve your own work and the product as a whole
- You'll help define the engineering culture at Up Learn
You want to build something that makes a huge positive impact on people's lives. You have solid commercial experience with a suitable tech stack (see below), and are able to use this to creatively solve problems. You care about the code you write, aiming to make it robust, readable and maintainable.
You’ve worked in multi-disciplinary product teams and alongside other developers; ideally this would be in the form of another digital product at scale. You’re open to sharing knowledge and have the ability and experience to establish robust development standards and team processes.
We are building the most advanced education technology company in the world, pushing the frontiers of effective education, and having a tangible impact on thousands of young people.
If that excites you, we can’t wait to meet.
You should have:
- Experience in web application development using Python and Django
- Experience in relational databases such as PostgreSQL or MySQL
- Experience in front-end frameworks such as React, Vue or Angular
- Experience with AWS
- Experience managing server infrastructure
- Passion for writing clean, modular, well-commented, well-tested, readable and reusable code
- Understanding of software development practices such as agile development, testing and peer reviewing
- Proficient understanding and experience with Git
- Outstanding communication skills, written and spoken
- Organisational, project and time management skills; ability to manage workload and effectively allocate appropriate time to a range of tasks
- Highly competitive salary, plus equity share options
- A fun, friendly, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- The chance to define the future of education and make a meaningful contribution to the lives of thousands of students
- Influence, trust and impact inside a well funded startup that's scaling
- An excellent working environment in our spacious and bright private office in Old Street (348 Old Street), with delicious coffee, selection of teas and unlimited snacks and drinks
- Regular team outings like go-karting and skiing, flexible working hours, unlimited holidays (minimum 31 days)
If this sounds like it’s for you, we can’t wait to hear from you.
Send us your CV & tell us in 150 words why you’d be great for this role.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us ahead of applying at [email protected]